01 February 2014

Nocturne ~ Neighbor's House at Dusk



I painted my neighbor's house this evening as viewed through the kitchen window at dusk.  This past summer, Marc Hanson introduced me to painting nocturnes and I really enjoyed it.  So each evening this past week, I've been looking at the neighbor's house in evening when the windows are glowing with warm light and thought that I should try painting it.  It's not a true Plein Air painting as I didn't paint it outside in the open air.  It's too cold and damp for that (at least to my way of thinking!) so I moved the easel in front of the window and worked from there.  Took just an hour or so to get my impression down.

I'd like to try this one again as I think I got the scene too light and not enough contrast.  And looking at the house after the fact, I see that I got a few things "wrong" and I'd like to try to get them "right" the next time!  From any other angle, this little house is rather unassuming, but as viewed from my kitchen windows, it's a lovely little cottage nestled in the trees!

8x10"
Oil on oil primed linen Centurion Panel

1 comment:

Painting the hamptons said...

This is beautiful!