21 January 2014

Birthday Roses

Birthday Roses with Model
My daughter got me some lovely pink and white roses for my birthday this past weekend.  I wanted to try and capture an impression of them in my favorite green vase.  I love painters like Christine Lafuente (see link in the sidebar) who can capture flowers and color and bring them to life with a minimum of brushstrokes.  I thought I'd have a go at it.  I ended up focusing on the light in the green glass vase.  Somehow the roses end up almost an afterthought.  I'm not sure why, but I have a really hard time painting roses that actually look like roses.   

Birthday Roses
They came out ok this time though ~ definitely more impressionistic than the vase though.  I may add just a couple of small tweaks to this where the shadows are concerned.  Otherwise, I think it's done.  

No comments: