20 January 2014

Tweaking a Painting


This is a painting I did back in 2006.  While I liked the composition and the majority of the brushwork on it, something was "off" and I was never happy with it.  I got it out recently, hoping to frame it and immediately saw what was wrong with it.  The biggest problem was that the ellipse shape of the bottoms of both blue pieces was too flat and off.  They didn't sit on the same plane as the rest of the painting.  And the highlights were off slightly on the left most piece.  

 
This afternoon, I decided it was time to fix things, so after scrubbing it down with mineral spirits, I adjusted the bottom of both blue pieces and fixed the highlights and shadows on the left blue piece.  Posting it now, I see it needs one more small tweak on the rim.  I'm so much happier with this painting now!  Then it's time to get it in the frame! 

No comments: